SATURDAY, JUNE 16, 2018
ABOUT THE RACE
Join us for the eighth annual Spectacle Island 5K and Kids Fun Run brought to you by Boston Harbor Now! Enjoy panoramic views of Boston Harbor and the city from this historic island. Race day festivities feature a 5K Race, half-mile Kids Fun Run, picnic lunch for participants, music, and kids’ activities.
- Tech t-shirts and fun swag to first 300 5K race registrants
- Ferry service to/from Hingham Shipyard in addition to Boston
- One ticket for a free beer on the ferry for the return trip for anyone 21 years and older
- Post-race activities including: yoga, kid’s crafts, music and the New England Aquarium touch tank
The race will start and finish on Spectacle Island in Boston Harbor. Ferries will depart from Long Wharf North and the Hingham Shipyard. Click here for more information on getting to the ferry departure point at Long Wharf North.
This is a rain or shine event. However, park officials, ferry transportation providers and race management have the authority to cancel the event for emergency purposes such as, but not limited to, severe inclement weather to ensure public safety. If such emergency conditions force cancellation, the event entry fee is non-refundable and non-transferable, as funds will have been spent in preparation for the event. However, registrants would be sent a complimentary ferry ticket to travel to the Boston Harbor Islands on their own at a future date; t-shirts would be mailed to applicable event participants; and spectator ferry tickets would be refunded. For more information contact race director John Childs at 781-325-6634.
RACE DAY SCHEDULE
- 8:15 a.m. – Ferry departs Hingham Shipyard Marina
- 8:30 a.m. – Ferry departs Long Wharf
- Registration and Baggage Check Open (Participants may pick up registration materials upon arrival at the Island. Baggage Check available for 5K participants only.)
- 9:30 a.m. – Pre-race warm-up and stretch (on the promenade)
- 9:30 a.m.- 1:00 p.m. Kids Activities at Visitor Center
- 10:00 a.m. – 5K Race
- 11:15 a.m. – “Race to the Saddle” Kids Fun Run start (Half-mile fun run for children under 12)
- 11:15 a.m. – Yoga class on the pier
- 11:30 a.m. – 5K Awards Ceremony
- 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Picnic Lunch (near Visitor Center)
- 12:00 p.m. – First ferry departs for Boston
- 12:30 p.m. – Ferry departs for Hingham
- 12:30 p.m. – Baggage Check Closes
- 2:00 pm – Second ferry departs for Boston
The 5k Race will begin at 10:00 a.m. Race Day Registration and Packet Pickup will begin at 8:30 a.m. on Spectacle Island. Event day registration for all events will be available beginning at 8:30 a.m. on race day.
5K Race: 10:00 a.m.
5K (two loops) flat course on crushed stone around the perimeter of Spectacle Island. Volunteers calling mile splits. Water stations on course. Click here for a map of the island. Awards will be presented to the overall top 3 male and female winners, as well as first place male and female finishers in following divisions: Age 12 & under; 13-19 years old; 20-29; 30-39; 40-49; 50-59; 60-69; 70-plus. Tech t-shirts to first 300 registrants. Limited bag check will be provided to 5K participants. For the safety of participants and in adherence to USATF insurance guidelines, strollers, bicycles, inline skates, skateboards and dogs are not permitted. USATF sanction and certified.
“Race to the Saddle” Kids’ Fun Run: 11:15 a.m.
Half-mile fun run for children under 12 from the Visitor’s Center to the “Saddle” and back. Registration required. Please note that children under 12 will need adult supervision if the parents/guardians are running the 5K Race, as we do not have staff assigned to supervise the children. For the safety of participants and in adherence to USATF insurance guidelines, strollers, bicycles, inline skates, skateboards and dogs are not permitted.
Location TBD – Wednesday, June 13th from 4:00 – 6:00 pm and Thursday, June 14th from 4:00 – 6:00 pm. Raffle prizes and snacks available to all early packet pick-ups!
Race Day Pickup
Packets can also be picked up on race day morning beginning at 8:30 a.m. upon arrival to Spectacle Island.
Directions and Parking
Ample parking will be available at the Long Wharf North and Hingham Shipyard ferry locations. Click here for more information.
- Post Race Awards and Winners Metals
- Tech t-shirt and swag to first 300 registrants
- Chip Timing
- Lunch for 5K participants, kids’ run participants and pre-registered spectators
- Limited bag check will be available for 5k participants
- One ticket for a free beer on the ferry for the return trip for participants 21 years and older
- Post-race activities including: yoga, kids’ crafts, live music, and the New England Aquarium
Overall 1st-3rd place male/female.
INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING?
We couldn’t do it without our dedicated team of volunteers!
Volunteers help with:
- Water stops
- Course marshalling
- Kids’ activities
Sign up to volunteer today!
Spectacle Island 5K Results