SUMMER ON THE WATERFRONT
Head out to Spectacle Island
- Free Kite Fridays:Visit Spectacle Island on Fridays this season and receive a free kite at the Visitor Center after you arrive! Kites are limited to one per group or family unit and available while supplies last.
- Explore Boston – A Waterfront-Wide Scavenger Hunt: Our scavenger hunts are back this season, running June through September in six waterfront locations: Charlestown, Downtown Boston, East Boston, South Boston, and Spectacle & Georges Islands.
- Story Walk on Spectacle Island: Join us for a story walk on Spectacle Island featuring “Ruby’s Birds“! Written by Mya Thompson and illustrated by Claudia Dávila, “Ruby’s Birds” tells the story of Ruby, a plucky young girl who uncovers the wild side of her city neighborhood. When Ruby realizes there are amazing birds right in her neighborhood, her imagination takes flight! The book is targeted for ages 3–7, but explorers of all ages are welcome to visit our story walk!
- Georges Island Audio Tour: Want to learn about Georges Island but missed the Ranger tour? We now offer a self-guided audio tour in both English and Spanish!
Look for signs on the Island and scan QR codes as you go to access each stop on the tour, or listen from home:
- Spectacle Summer Nights featuring Night Shift Brewing: Enjoy a spectacular summer night on Spectacle Island, which will stay open just a few times this season for an after-hours experience- an evening of relaxation, fun, and music in partnership with Night Shift Brewing and Brato Brewhouse & Kitchen. Visitors can sit on the porch and enjoy live music, set up a picnic dinner from Night Shift, hike with a ranger, or relax with a view.
- Saturday August 7 – 4:30 to 8:30pm
- Saturday August 21 – 4:30 to 8:30pm
- HarborFit: Another year, another season of HarborFit. TRILLFIT instructors will teach a variety of classes Christopher Columbus Waterfront Park, Carson Beach, the Charlestown Navy Yard and more! HarborFit is made possible by the generous support of Procter & Gamble and LL Bean.
- Jazz on the Porch: Kick back and relax in one of Spectacle Island’s Adirondack chairs as you take in harbor views and enjoy the sounds of talented up-and-coming bands from Berklee College of Music and Education Through Music Massachusetts. Concerts are free, but you must purchase ferry tickets: https://www.
- Weekly on Sundays in August – 2:30 to 4:30pm
- Half-day Ocean Therapy Retreats: Slow down and awaken your senses on a 3-hour guided therapeutic experience in the unique urban wilderness areas of the Boston Harbor! Join Toadstool Walks to learn more about “Forest Bathing”, inspired by the Japanese practice of Shinrin-yoku. Ocean Therapy Retreats run monthly, May through October from 9:00 – 12:00 pm. Sign up below:
- Moakley Park Cleanups: MAKE MOAKLEY YOURS by joining Boston Harbor Now & the Boston Parks and Recreation Department for monthly cleanups at Moakley Park!
Give back to your community through volunteer work and enjoy the beauty of this waterfront park while you do so! Sign up below:
- Waterfront Running Club: Boston Harbor Now will continue our Waterfront Running Club at various waterfront locations monthly throughout the season. New dates, times, and locations to be announced soon.