Thank you for your interest in Boston Harbor Now. We are an intentionally diverse workplace. We recognize that people bring their personal histories to work and that we make better decisions when we include a wide range of experiences and opinions.
Below are the current position(s) open at the organization:
- Content Manager
- Office Manager/Bookkeeper
Boston Harbor Now is looking for a qualified Content Manager to join our growing team. You will be responsible for creating, improving, and maintaining content to achieve our organizational goals of championing public space, access, and climate resiliency of Boston Harbor, the Islands, and its neighborhoods. Your duties will also include sharing media-rich content to raise brand awareness, growing and motivating our audiences, and monitoring web traffic and metrics to identify ongoing engagement best practices.
Our ideal candidate is an experienced and passionate professional with demonstrable creative writing skills, attention to detail, and dedication to connecting with wide and diverse audiences. As a Content Manager, you should perform well under deadlines, be self-motivated, and (did we mention?) be incredibly detail-oriented. If you are also an expert in content optimization, brand consistency, and storytelling — we would like to meet you.
Ultimately, you should be able to oversee all communications and development content initiatives to ensure optimal audience engagement, brand consistency, and clarity of message. This is a contract position for an estimated 40 hours/week for 1 year with the possibility of extension.
- Develop a content strategy aligned with short-term and long-term communication goals and marketing targets
- Collaborate with marketing and development teams to plan and produce Boston Harbor Now’s websites (Boston Harbor Now, Boston Harbor Islands, Boston Harborwalk), social media, e-newsletter, event calendar, newspaper, and fundraising content like donor profiles, impact stories, and solicitations
- Create and publish engaging content that is consistent with Boston Harbor Now’s and Boston Harbor Islands National and State Park’s voice and branding
- Edit, proofread and improve our content and materials
- Liaise with content writers to ensure brand consistency
- Optimize content according to SEO best practices
- Use content management systems to analyze website traffic and users engagement metrics
- Manage content distribution to online channels and social media platforms to increase web traffic, social media audience, and mailing list growth
- Develop and manage our organizational editorial calendar and ensure the team is on board
- Ensure compliance with the law and internal policies (e.g. copyright and data protection)
- Stay up-to-date with developments and generate new ideas to draw audiences’ attention
- Proven work experience as a Content Manager
- Experience with MS Office, Google Suite, and WordPress
- Familiarity with MailChimp or similar email client platforms
- Basic technical knowledge of HTML and web publishing
- Knowledge of SEO and web traffic metrics (familiarity with Google Analytics and Adwords are pluses)
- Familiarity with social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube)
- Excellent writing skills in English
- Attention to detail
- Good organizational and time-management skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Marketing, English, or relevant field or equivalent work experience
About Boston Harbor Now
Boston Harbor Now works at the intersection of people and nature to advocate for open space, public infrastructure, and private sector development that will enhance public access to the Harbor and protect the City from the impacts of climate change. We seek to activate the Harbor, reconnect it with Boston’s neighborhoods, and protect water-dependent uses. And we build and broaden the constituency for the Harbor by engaging people through diverse programs — getting them down to the waterfront and out to the Harbor Islands.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, and up to 5 writing samples (social media/blog posts, appeals, grants applications, newsletter copy, etc) as a single pdf attachment to email@example.com and include “Content Manager” in the email subject line. Letters may be addressed to Christian Merfeld, Communications and Public Relations Director. No phone calls, please.
Boston Harbor Now is seeking an Office Manager / Bookkeeper to join our growing team. The
position will assist with our office operations and provide support to the Director of Finance.
This position will perform administrative functions including office management, overseeing
accounts receivables and accounts payable, time scheduling, supplies and vendor management,
and provide IT and phone support to staff, customers, and partners. This position will report to
the Director of Finance & Administration and work closely with the Business Operations
Our ideal candidate is a dedicated professional who is able to stay highly organized, multi-task,
and help improve systems and processes. This will be a full-time 40 hours/week position with
benefits. You will be required to work occasional evenings/weekends.
- Book calendar appointments and manage shared resources like rooms, conference call
lines, and office equipment for all staff
- Develop, review, and improve administrative systems, policies, and procedures
- Maintain necessary supplies and ensure all equipment works properly and is well
- Plan, schedule, and distribute notices of office events, including meetings, conferences,
interviews, orientations, and training sessions
- Collect, organize, and record information with computers and filing systems
- Answer general calls and emails and direct them to appropriate contacts
- Other duties as assigned
- Record accounts receivables/payables and vendor contacts in Quickbooks
Ensure all documentation is properly filed and all invoiced are accurately coded
- Generate invoices for all revenue sources including foundations and federally funded
grants and agreements
- Regularly reconcile accounts with staff
- Assist in monthly closings process and annual audits
- Assist with other activities to support the accounting function as requested
Qualifications and Experience
- Associates degree in Accounting required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 2 years accounts payable and accounts receivables experience
- Knowledge of accounting systems required; experience with Quickbooks and nonprofit
accounting is a plus
- Familiarity with system and process improvements, human resources, and customer
- Exceptional organizational skills including time, task, and resource management skills
- Demonstrated record of meeting deadlines, with strong organizational skills and
attention to details. Ability to work well independently and strong communication skills
to interact with coworkers, management, and outside vendors
- Strong listening and follow-through skills
- Excellent proficiency with MS Office, particularly Excel and Word, as well as Google Suite
About Boston Harbor Now
Boston Harbor Now works at the intersection of people and nature to advocate for open space,
public infrastructure, and private sector development that will enhance public access to the
Harbor and protect the City from the impacts of climate change. We seek to activate the
Harbor, reconnect it with Boston’s neighborhoods and protect water-dependent uses. And we
build and broaden the constituency for the Harbor by engaging people through diverse
programs — getting them down to the waterfront and out to the Harbor Islands.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, Boston Harbor Now aims to create a
thriving, inclusive team that values all aspects and perspectives of each member.
How to Apply
To apply please send your resume/CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
for consideration. Please use the Subject line “Office Manager/Bookkeeper Application (your
last name)” in your email.