Thank you for your interest in Boston Harbor Now. We are an intentionally diverse workplace. We recognize that people bring their personal histories to work and that we make better decisions when we include a wide range of experiences and opinions.
Below are the current position(s) open at the organization:
- Manager of Special Events
Manager of Special Events
In this highly visible, collaborative role, the Manager of Special Events provides strategic and creative oversight for a portfolio of events designed to achieve bold and strategic fundraising goals, expand Boston Harbor Now’s brand, and engage and increase the number of Boston Harbor Now’s donors. The Manager of Special Events is the lead for Boston Harbor Now’s two signature fundraising events, the Spectacle on Spectacle Celebration and Annual Onboard Awards and Networking Celebration. In addition, s/he produces and manages a variety of fundraising, cultivation and stewardship events.
Reporting to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, the Manager of Special Events is a team player who can work independently within a fast-paced work environment. This position will create plans and execute events on and off the Boston Harbor Islands that strengthen the relationship between donors and Boston Harbor Now. This position will have primary ownership of the execution of all major fundraising events, and will work in close collaboration with other staff members around the planning of other signature events. The Manager of Special Events will also work with the Vice President for Institutional Advancement to identify new events aimed at cultivating existing donors,volunteers, and new prospects.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conceptualize, plan and execute an annual event strategy designed to diversify Boston Harbor Now’s revenue streams by attracting new sources of support, cultivating new donors, stewarding and renewing existing donors, and increasing visibility for the agency’s mission
- Successfully oversee and execute all Boston Harbor Now events from inception to completion, including but not limited to, Spectacle on Spectacle, the Onboard Awards, cultivation, recognition and stewardship events, and other existing and new development events
- Work with Vice President for Institutional Advancement and the Director of Programs to set revenue goals, solicitation strategies, timelines, and post-event evaluation and analysis. Ensures all goals, strategies, timelines and analysis are met, adhered to and completed.
- Develop systems, protocols and best practices to ensure all Boston Harbor Now events are consistently exceptional, high-caliber occasions that showcase our positive impact on Boston Harbor
- Work with Vice President for Institutional Advancement, board, and staff to identify, develop and implement new opportunities for Boston Harbor Now events portfolio
- Work with development team to create a full suite of event sponsorship benefits designed to maximize revenue generation and align with the goals of the funding community
- Work with Boston Harbor Now leadership to identify and recruit event Chairs and Host Committee members tasked with revenue generation and promotion
- Provide leadership, oversight, and follow up for all event committee activities and ensure Host Committee members have the resources necessary to be successful solicitors
- Provide leadership while overseeing all aspects of guest experience, event production, logistics, speaking programs, printed and digital materials.
- Work with Boston Harbor Now team to help coordinate fee based programs and engage a variety of audiences.
- Develop and manage all event expense budgets, and identify new in-kind gift opportunities
- Manage all key vendor and consultant relationships
- Recruit, train and supervise assigned staff and volunteers
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree, 5 years’ experience working in event planning or related experience in a nonprofit environment, a demonstrated track record of philanthropic event planning success, and the ability to travel in the Greater Boston area and to the Boston Harbor Islands
- Interest and comfort in producing events on the Boston Harbor Islands
- Self-motivated and resourceful with superior organizational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with other advancement and finance team members, senior management and Boston Harbor Now Board volunteers/members.
- Must be a team player with the ability to work independently and on islands
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects is critical
- Ability to problem solve on the spot and respond with tact, diplomacy and poise
- Ability to represent Boston Harbor Now at fundraising events and meetings and to work well with a broad range of constituencies
- Proven experience working with and managing vendors
- Solid writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to maintain high level of donor confidentiality
- Willingness to work occasional evenings as event and project deadlines dictate
- Must be willing to join a quick-paced energetic growing Development team, and work with a group of talented, committed volunteers
- Strong computer skills required. Knowledge of Google Suite products like Gmail, Google Docs, Drive, and Microsoft Office, and Salesforce preferred
- Demonstrated skills in organization and communication in an office setting and responding to donor communications
Salary: $65,000-$75,000 depending on qualifications and experience
About Boston Harbor Now
Boston Harbor Now works at the intersection of people and nature to advocate for open space, public infrastructure, and private sector development that will enhance public access to the Harbor and protect the City from the impacts of climate change. We seek to activate the Harbor, reconnect it with Boston’s neighborhoods, and protect water-dependent uses. And we build and broaden the constituency for the Harbor by engaging people through diverse programs — getting them down to the waterfront and out to the Harbor Islands.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and résumé as a single pdf attachment to email@example.com and include “Manager of Special Events” in the email subject line. Letters may be addressed to Jodi Wolin, Vice President for Institutional Advancement. No phone calls please.