SUMMER ON THE WATERFRONT
Things are heating up on the waterfront, as we welcome the return of summer events! Enjoy our recommendations for FREE and low-cost activities on the harbor, from fitness classes to public concerts, markets, parties, and more. Be sure to check out our summer programming page for ideas on how to enjoy your waterfront all season long.
Head out to the Boston Harbor Islands
- Georges Island Audio Tour: Want to learn about Georges Island but missed the Ranger tour? We now offer a self-guided audio tour in both English and Spanish! Look for signs on the Island and scan QR codes as you go to access each stop on the tour, or listen from home:
Culture & Community
- Innovation Islands: The Boston Harbor Islands Partnership has once again awarded 12 local nonprofit micro-grants to support the development of new experiences that meet the unique needs of their community. Hop on the ferry to enjoy community-organized events on the Islands!
- HarborFit: Another year, another season of HarborFit. Local area instructors including Huan’s Tai Chi of Cambridge, TRILLFIT, Linda the Wellness Warrior, Veronica Robles, and others will teach a variety of classes at Christopher Columbus Waterfront Park, Carson Beach, the Charlestown Navy Yard, Piers Park, Spectacle Island, and more! Classes include Sunset Yoga, Tai Chi, Latin Dance and Fitness, Cardio Dance, and more. HarborFit is made possible by the generous support of Better Beaches and Save the Harbor Save the Bay.
- Moakley Park Cleanups: MAKE MOAKLEY YOURS by joining Boston Harbor Now & the Boston Parks and Recreation Department for monthly cleanups at Moakley Park! Give back to your community through volunteer work and enjoy the beauty of this waterfront park while you do so!
- Night Sky Camping on Peddocks Island: Grab your camping gear and join a Park Ranger for an unforgettable night sky experience in Boston Harbor! Join Boston Harbor Islands National & State Park for the return of Night Sky camping on Peddocks Island. Learn how to use a telescope, admire the cosmos, tell stories around a campfire, and enjoy an overnight excursion to the second largest island in Boston Harbor!
- Vintage Baseball: Step back in time and watch a Civil War-era baseball game with original rules and uniforms.
- Lighthouse Tours: Voyage through maritime history with a special three-lighthouse tour featuring close-up views of Long Island Light, Graves Light, and Boston Light – America’s first light station on Fridays & Saturdays, July 1 – September 10
- Jazz on the Porch: Kick back and relax in one of Spectacle Island’s Adirondack chairs as you take in harbor views and enjoy the sounds of talented up-and-coming bands from Berklee College of Music and Education Through Music Massachusetts. Concerts are free, but you must purchase ferry tickets: https://www.
- Sounds of Fort Warren: Join us for the Sounds of Fort Warren music series that will bring a variety of music to Fort Warren.
Food & Drink
- Sunset Lobster Clam Bakes on Spectacle Island: Enjoy Gourmet Caterers’ take on a classic New England clambake, sip a drink, walk on the beach, enjoy lawn games, and let the ocean breeze and sunset transport you. Hop on a Boston Harbor City Cruises ferry downtown, and in less than 30 minutes you will have a front-row seat for one of Boston’s best sunset views.
- Spectacle Summer Nights featuring Night Shift Brewing: Enjoy a spectacular summer night on Spectacle Island, which will stay open just a few times this season for an after-hours experience- an evening of relaxation, fun, and music in partnership with Night Shift Brewing and ZaZ. Visitors can sit on the porch and enjoy live music, set up a picnic dinner from Night Shift, hike with a ranger, or relax with a view.