Friends of the Boston Harborwalk
The FBHW is a group of volunteers with a mission to create awareness, promote public enjoyment, and foster local stewardship of Boston’s 43-mile Harborwalk. The group meets monthly to plan and coordinate three priorities:
- Host informative monthly two-hour tours highlighting different Harborwalk segments.
- Develop engaging and site-specific interpretive signs for residents and visitors along the Harborwalk and collaborating with waterfront property owners and other stakeholders on their installation.
- Organize waterfront clean-up events and reporting maintenance concerns to help ensure that the entire length of the Harborwalk is clean, safe, and inviting.
For more information on joining the FBHW, contact Mike Manning, Chair, at email@example.com.
UPCOMING TOURS (Tentative Schedule)
All tours are led by volunteers from the Friends of the Boston Harborwalk. Standard walking tours take place on Saturdays at 10:00 AM; however, they will be moving online for most of 2020 in compliance with public health recommendations.
(UPDATE: Specific dates and topics are subject to change. The Wharf District tour will be conducted as a webinar with registration information forthcoming.)
- June 17: Wharf District
- July: Film “Tour” of Boston
- August: East Boston from Clippership Wharf to Boston East
- September: North of the Charlestown Navy Yard
- October: History of the Harborwalk – North End and Wharf District
- November: TBD
- December:Literary “Tour” of Boston Harbor
- January: Bird watching tour at Pleasure Bay – South Boston
- February 27: 5th Annual Winter Harbor Cruise
Please help us accomplish our goals by becoming a FBHW volunteer. Here are a few opportunities for you to become involved:
Harborwalk Guided Tour Team
Tour team volunteers lead different guided excursions each month. Most tours are on foot, others via bicycle or by boat, with each event exploring a different Harborwalk segment from Belle Isle Marsh in East Boston to the former Baker Chocolate Factory in lower Dorchester. Tours typically run from 10 am to noon on Saturdays and begin and end near public transit. If you are interested in developing and/or leading a tour, please contact Mike Manning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Harborwalk Signage Team
Our signage team works closely with property owners and all stakeholders to develop content for engaging and inclusive interpretive signs along the Harborwalk, celebrating Boston’s rich waterfront history by focusing on local points of interest. The signs created by our team to date, can be viewed here. For more information contact Mike Manning at email@example.com.
Harborwalk Clean-up Team
Building on a long tradition of giving back to the community, countless volunteers from local corporate and civic organizations help our team periodically undertake a needed clean-up along a Harborwalk segment. These clean-ups typically occur from 9 am to noon on a date of your choosing. If you’re interested in hosting your volunteer group for this purpose, please contact Erik Bankey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Friends of the Boston Harborwalk meet at 5:30 pm on the fourth Thursday of the month in the Leventhal Room at the Boston Harbor Hotel. Upcoming 2020 meetings will be held on the following dates:
- February 27th
- March 26th
- April 23rd
- May 28th
- June 25th
FRIENDS IN THE NEWS
With the centennial of the Great Molasses Flood, the new sign researched and designed by the signage committee garnered significant news coverage.