Friends of the Boston Harborwalk
The FBHW is a group of volunteers with a mission to create awareness, promote public enjoyment, and foster local stewardship of Boston’s 43-mile Harborwalk. The group meets monthly to plan and coordinate three priorities:
- Host informative monthly two-hour tours highlighting different Harborwalk segments.
- Develop engaging and site-specific interpretive signs for residents and visitors along the Harborwalk and collaborating with waterfront property owners and other stakeholders on their installation.
- Organize waterfront clean-up events and reporting maintenance concerns to help ensure that the entire length of the Harborwalk is clean, safe, and inviting.
For more information on joining the FBHW, contact Mike Manning, Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPCOMING 2019 FBHW-SPONSORED TOURS
- June 13th: South Boston – Castle Island at Sunset (Thursday evening)
- June 15th: East Boston – the Harborwalk from Maverick to the Shipyard
- July 20th: Fort Point Channel (in partnership with Boston By Foot)
- August 28th: Tour of Chelsea Creek on a PT boat
- September 14th: Deer Island (in partnership with Massachusetts Water Resource Authority)
- October: Saturday Walk Series in honor of the Harborwalk’s 35th anniversary
- November 16th: North End to the Navy Yard
- December 31st: Wharf District (Tuesday afternoon)
Please help us accomplish our goals by becoming a FBHW volunteer. Here are a few opportunities for you to become involved:
Harborwalk Guided Tour Team
Tour team volunteers lead different guided excursions each month. Most tours are on foot, others via bicycle or by boat, with each event exploring a different Harborwalk segment from Belle Isle Marsh in East Boston to the former Baker Chocolate Factory in lower Dorchester. Tours typically run from 10 am to noon on Saturdays and begin and end near public transit. If you are interested in developing and/or leading a tour, please contact Mike Manning at email@example.com.
Harborwalk Signage Team
Our signage team works closely with property owners and all stakeholders to develop content for engaging and inclusive interpretive signs along the Harborwalk, celebrating Boston’s rich waterfront history by focusing on local points of interest. For more information contact Mike Manning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Harborwalk Clean-up Team
Building on a long tradition of giving back to the community, countless volunteers from local corporate and civic organizations help our team periodically undertake a needed clean-up along a Harborwalk segment. These clean-ups typically occur from 9 am to noon on a date of your choosing. If you’re interested in hosting your volunteer group for this purpose, please contact Erik Bankey at email@example.com.
You can also volunteer with the Friends of the Boston Harborwalk on Park Serve Day at the Neponset River Spring Cleanup. Register here for the April 27th clean-up and select the Tenean Beach, Dorchester site.
The Friends of the Boston Harborwalk meet at 5:30 pm on the fourth Thursday of the month in the Leventhal Room at the Boston Harbor Hotel. Upcoming 2019 meetings will be held on the following dates:
- May 23rd
- June 27th
- July 25th
- August 22nd
- September 26th
- October 23rd (Wednesday)
- no meeting in November
- December 19th
FRIENDS IN THE NEWS
With the centennial of the Great Molasses Flood, the new sign researched and designed by the signage committee garnered significant news coverage.