Friends of the Boston Harborwalk
The FBHW is a group of volunteers with a mission to create awareness, promote public enjoyment, and foster local stewardship of Boston’s 43-mile Harborwalk. The group meets monthly to plan and coordinate three priorities:
- Host informative monthly two-hour tours highlighting different Harborwalk segments.
- Develop engaging and site-specific interpretive signs for residents and visitors along the Harborwalk and collaborating with waterfront property owners and other stakeholders on their installation.
- Organize waterfront clean-up events and reporting maintenance concerns to help ensure that the entire length of the Harborwalk is clean, safe, and inviting.
- Support the Friends of the Boston Harborwalk
- For more information on joining the FBHW, contact Mike Manning, Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPCOMING TOURS (Tentative Schedule)
All tours are led by volunteers from the Friends of the Boston Harborwalk. Standard walking tours take place on Saturdays at 10:00 AM; however, some locations require alternative times and winter tours may be offered online. We look forward to offering the following tours in 2023
- Saturday, May 20: Belle Isle Marsh
- Wednesday, June 14: Charlestown Navy Yard and sculptures by Michael Alfano – cohosted by Navy Yard Garden and Art (6:00 PM)
- Saturday, June 24: Dorchester Bay including Harbor Point, UMass – Boston, JFK Library, and Edward M. Kennedy Center
- Saturday, July 15: Piers Park to Logan Int’l Airport
- Saturday, July 22: More of the East Boston Harborwalk
- August: Recreational Boating (5:30 PM)
- Saturday, September 23: Castle Island Signage
- Saturday, October 21: Charlestown Navy Yard History
- Saturday, October 28: Charlestown Navy Yard and sculptures by Michael Alfano – cohosted by Navy Yard Garden and Art
- Thursday, November 8: Public Parks and Resilience Plans
- Sunday, December 31: Wharf District (1:00 PM)
To register for these upcoming tours, please go to Eventbrite and/or join Boston Harbor Now’s email list.
During the first year of the pandemic, many tours moved online. Recordings of some of the virtual tours from 2020 and 2021 are below.
- June 17, 2020: Wharf District
- August 19, 2020: East Boston from Clippership Wharf to Boston East
- September 23, 2020: Neponset River
- October 14, 2020: Harborwalk Geology
- December 9, 2020: Boston’s Fish Pier
- January 27, 2021: The Great Molasses Flood
- February 24, 2021: Boston Harborwalk Secret Places
- April 21, 2021: Vision Chelsea Creek with Harborkeepers
To view all previous virtual tours, check out this YouTube playlist.
Please help us accomplish our goals by becoming a FBHW volunteer. Here are a few opportunities for you to become involved:
Harborwalk Guided Tour Team
Tour team volunteers lead different guided excursions each month. Most tours are on foot, others via bicycle or by boat, with each event exploring a different Harborwalk segment from Belle Isle Marsh in East Boston to the former Baker Chocolate Factory in lower Dorchester. Tours typically run from 10 am to noon on Saturdays and begin and end near public transit. If you are interested in developing and/or leading a tour, please contact Mike Manning at email@example.com.
Harborwalk Signage Team
Our signage team works closely with property owners and all stakeholders to develop content for engaging and inclusive interpretive signs along the Harborwalk, celebrating Boston’s rich waterfront history by focusing on local points of interest. The signs created by our team to date, can be viewed here. For more information contact Mike Manning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Harborwalk Clean-up Team
Building on a long tradition of giving back to the community, countless volunteers from local corporate and civic organizations help our team periodically undertake a needed clean-up along a Harborwalk segment. These clean-ups typically occur from 9 am to noon on a date of your choosing. If you’re interested in hosting your volunteer group for this purpose, please contact Erik Bankey at email@example.com.
The Friends of the Boston Harborwalk meet at 5:30 pm on the fourth Thursday of the month. They are currently meeting virtually. Please contact Mike Manning at firstname.lastname@example.org to attend. Upcoming meetings will be held on the following dates:
Thursday, May 25
Thursday, June 22
Thursday, July 27
Thursday, August 24
Thursday, September 28
Thursday, October 26
Thursday, November 16 (one week early due to Thanksgiving)
No meeting in December
FRIENDS IN THE NEWS
With Community Preservation Act funding from the City of Boston, the Friends installed eight signs around Castle Island and Pleasure Bay.
During the 2019 centennial of the Great Molasses Flood, a new sign researched and designed by the signage committee garnered significant news coverage. You can find it in Langone and Puopolo Park in the North End.