Friends of the Boston Harborwalk
The FBHW is a group of volunteers dedicated to increasing awareness, public enjoyment and local stewardship of Boston’s 43-mile Harborwalk. The group meets monthly to plan and coordinate three priorities:
- Hosting informative monthly two-hour tours highlighting different Harborwalk segments.
- Developing engaging and site-specific interpretive signs for residents and visitors along the Harborwalk and collaborating with waterfront property owners and other stakeholders on their installation.
- Organizing waterfront clean-up events and reporting maintenance concerns to help ensure that the entire length of the Harborwalk is clean, safe, and inviting.
For more information on joining the FBHW, contact Mike Manning, Chair, at email@example.com.
UPCOMING 2019 FBHW-SPONSORED TOURS
- April 6th: Belle Isle Marsh tour (in partnership with DCR+ the Friends of the Belle Isle Marsh)
- April 27th: North End – “The Great Molasses Flood” (reprise)
- May 18th: Downtown Boston – “A History Written in Stone”
- June 6th: South Boston – Castle Island at Sunset (Thursday evening)
- June 15th: East Boston – the Harborwalk from Maverick to the Shipyard
- July: Fort Point Channel (in partnership with Boston By Foot)
- August 28: Tour of Chelsea Creek on a PT boat
- September 14th: Deer Island (in partnership with Massachusetts Water Resource Authority)
- October: Saturday Walk Series in honor of the Harborwalk’s 35th anniversary
- November 16th: North End to the Navy Yard
- December: TBD
Please help us accomplish our goals by becoming a FBHW volunteer. Here are a few opportunities for you to become involved:
Harborwalk Guided Tour Team
Tour team volunteers lead different guided excursions each month. Most tours are on foot, others via bicycle or by boat, with each event exploring a different Harborwalk segment from Belle Isle Marsh in East Boston to the former Baker Chocolate Factory in lower Dorchester. Tours typically run from 10 am to noon on Saturdays and begin and end near public transit. If you are interested in developing and/or leading a tour, please contact Mike Manning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Harborwalk Signage Team
Our signage team works closely with property owners and all stakeholders to develop content for engaging and inclusive interpretive signs along the Harborwalk, celebrating Boston’s rich waterfront history by focusing on local points of interest. For more information contact Mike Manning at email@example.com.
Harborwalk Clean-up Team
Building on a long tradition of giving back to the community, countless volunteers from local corporate and civic organizations help our team periodically undertake a needed clean-up along a Harborwalk segment. These clean-ups typically occur from 9 am to noon on a date of your choosing. If you’re interested in hosting your volunteer group for this purpose, please contact Erik Bankey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also volunteer with the Friends of the Boston Harborwalk on Park Serve Day at the Neponset River Spring Cleanup. Register here for the April 27th clean-up and select the Tenean Beach, Dorchester site.
The Friends of the Boston Harborwalk meet at 5:30 pm on the fourth Thursday of the month in the Leventhal Room at the Boston Harbor Hotel. Upcoming 2019 meetings will be held on the following dates:
- April 25th
- May 23rd
- June 27th
- July 25th
- August 22nd
- September 26th
- October 23rd (Wednesday)
- no meeting in November
- December 19th
FRIENDS IN THE NEWS
With the centennial of the Great Molasses Flood, the new sign researched and designed by the signage committee garnered significant news coverage.