As the days get shorter and the brisk temperatures set in, a visit to Boston Harbor and its Islands may not be top of mind for you, but it should be! The Harbor and waterfront are filled with winter wonders and offer an easy escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Picture this: You’re snowshoeing through Peddocks Island surrounded by a blanket of snow covering the historic chapel in the distance. Or cruising through the harbor while a flock of native seabirds fly overhead. There is something truly magical to be found everywhere you look when enjoying Winter on the Waterfront.
Each year, Boston Harbor Now works tirelessly with our partners to offer year-round experiences for all communities to enjoy unique and memorable moments and build connections with not only those closest to them but with their region’s largest natural resource, Boston Harbor.
If you’re looking to transform your experience with the colder seasons, here is a quick guide to the Harbor’s upcoming winter programming:
- Merry Moakley – December 7th
- Merry Moakley is for you if you’re looking for an outdoor event to kick off the holiday season. Don your most festive attire and get into the holiday spirit with friends and family. This family-friendly event is inclusive for children of all ages. Make Merry Moakley your new holiday tradition with free food, music from local artist DJ WhySham, crafts, games, and more!
- New Year’s Eve on the Waterfront – December 31st
- Experience the beauty of ice sculptures before you wrap up 2023 at the 11th Annual Waterfront Ice Sculpture Stroll! Put on your jackets, wear your best snow boots (just in case we get snow this year), and get ready to stroll along the waterfront with your friends and family. Explore over 33 unique ice sculptures that are scattered along the waterfront. Find your favorite and discover new ice sculptures through our Ice Sculpture Stroll Interactive Map. Enter to win our one of our amazing Staycation packages by tagging #BostonHarborNow on Facebook, Instagram or X. Make it your mission to see them all! Every post is an entry in the giveaway. Click here for a full list of New Year’s Eve on the Waterfront activities.
- New Year’s Day Boat Trip to Thompson Island – January 1st
- New year, new adventure! Join the Friends of the Boston Harbor Island as they depart on a New Year’s Day boat trip to Thompson Island. Enjoy a boat ride through the harbor with a panoramic view of the Boston skyline. Once arrived guests can explore Thompson Island’s meadows, forests, beaches, and 40-acre salt marsh. What better way to kick off the New Year than with a picnic on an island? Grab your tickets here.
- Winter Wildlife Cruise – January 24th
- Grab your binoculars and get ready to spot some of your favorite wildlife creatures that call the Harbor their home! Our Winter Wildlife Cruise is a great opportunity to hop on a (heated!) ferry and cruise around the quiet waters of the harbor. See the waterfront come to life with wildlife. Bring your cameras and get ready to snap some incredible photos! This event is great for avid photographers or people interested in experiencing a harbor cruise like no other. Click here to grab your tickets before they’re gone!
- Winter Warmer at Moakley Park – February 10th
- Connect with your community, make new friends, and celebrate the beauty of Moakley Park in the winter at Winter Warmer at Moakley Park! Reflect on the start of the new year over free snacks, crafts, outdoor games, and so much more. This event is perfect for families with children of all ages! More details and registration coming soon!
- Winter Wander – February 24th
- Take a break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and escape to the peaceful Peddocks Island. Our annual Winter Wander gives guests a chance to immerse themselves in a winter landscape unlike any other. Play in the snowy fields of Peddocks Island, discover wildlife, and enjoy a guided tour of this peaceful island off-season. Cap off your wintry island adventure with s’mores on the beach! Get your tickets here.
There is a wide variety of winter events to experience on Boston Harbor! Whether you’re looking for a unique and exciting winter adventure on the Harbor or to share a more intimate holiday celebration that centers on community-building, consider visiting the waterfront this season. With so much to see and do, you’re sure to have a memorable experience.